Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Sleep....wonderful sleep....

It’s amazing how much clearer you start to see things when you know you have a mental disorder. You start to notice patterns in your behavior and how certain things affect you. My psychiatrist told me that a rigid sleep schedule is very important to a bipolar person. He said that it was very important for me to go to sleep at the same time every night and get up at the same time every day even on days I don’t have to get up. I laughed because I like to sleep in on the weekends and the thought of getting up at 6:45 on a Saturday morning cracks me up. But I have been trying to make a conscience effort to improve my sleep schedule.

Last night was a late night for me. I was up until 11:30 playing Tiger Woods 09 on the Wii. It was very hard to drag myself out of bed at 6:45 this morning and the lack of sleep is taking its toll on my body and my mind. I’m having a rough day today and I’m trying not to fall asleep at my desk. I’m to the point that I just want to go home and crawl back in bed. I don’t want to sit here at my desk for another 3 ½ hours and try to deal with this mess.


I’ve been thinking all day about how it’s the lack of sleep that’s making me cranky and I started to think back on the past couple of months and the number of days during the week that I would tell Bananer I was just tired when he would ask what was wrong. I’ve come to realize that it was just about every day out of the week and I see now what my doctor means about a rigid sleep schedule being important to my biochemistry.

So….I’m going to try my hardest to stick to my new sleep plan. I will try to be in bed no later than 10 every night and asleep no later than 10:30. I will try to be up no later than 6:45 and in the shower no later than 6:55 every morning. Wish me luck!!!!

No comments: